Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Aunt Peggy

Original art created by Judith Parsons Art 2018 San Francisco
#ArtPriestess

x




This blog is written with Aunt Peggy in mind.

One of my most cherished memories is Aunt Peggy kneeling down beside my chair, she was at eye level and she said: “You have the most beautiful green eyes. They are cat eyes.”
Our family was having dinner at her place and I must have been a 5 or 6. It was a memory that stayed with me, when all those other memories faded.
I was smitten. I was forever in love with my Aunt Peggy.

She was the family member that pulled all the other family members together for Thanksgiving. Every year she would have her traditional fabulous pull-out-all-the-stops dinner. She would use her plate warmer, set the table with sterling silver, china and crystal goblets. She was a true southerner and that she believed in setting an incredible table with cloth napkins and napkin rings.

I am smiling from ear-to-ear as I write this. What an incredible force of a woman! She would run out to greet us as we pulled up for visits. She placed her hands upon my shoulders and smiled a smile that melted my soul. I was home when I was with her.

When hurricane Katrina destroyed our home, she opened her home to us. We were nomads and were moving from family member to family member trying to not over stay our welcome. For many months we stayed at her place. Our beagle and children were welcomed with open arms. Never, once did she complain, she made us feel loved and supported. Thinking back upon that time, it really was an amazing time she gave us. I wonder what my children remember about that time. I will have to get back to you on that.

When I was a young girl, our family would stay at her beach house. She was generous enough to allow our family 2 weeks every year at her Alligator Point place. Those summers I got to see my grandma in her one piece swimming suit go swimming. I remember my father swimming horizontal along the shore and I marveled at his arms smoothly reaching upward and forward as he swam the crawl stroke. We used a net my father had woven, and caught fish! Her generosity was amazing and to this day I am forever changed by it.

I have got to get packing. I am sighing at the whole packing luggage ordeal. Ugh. It only makes it more real. I will miss her hands upon my shoulders, I will miss her shining sparkling grin as she pulls me into her arms for a glorious welcome home hug. Aunt Peggy, God knows you are in a better place, with a body that no longer pains you. But hells bells, YOU will be missed.

Guys, take it from me— love upon your wee family members. Look them in the eye and give them the love that changes them. 

(The fish art was especially created because of flowing spirit. She flowed and healed me when I was with her. She was to me very much like water, uplifting and buoyant. Her surface sparkling light! I will see you on the other side Aunt Peggy!)

That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment