Saturday, February 22, 2014

Noble art!

Creating art is my spiritual quest. Art is my Trinity.

Working with clay and bronze – has made me stronger, both physically, emotionally and spiritually.

When I feel stressed- when I feel over whelmed I run to the clay. When I am happy I run to the clay! I admit she is a patient medium. A perfect medium to create with. I created a scaffolding around the latest piece, and a throne and cross symbol form her back.

I admit I am no spring chicken. My hair is mostly white. I keep thinking I ought to be the spokesperson for retired persons-returning to college and starting your life over at 53! (smiling)

My back has become stronger. Last semester I would work late, 11 hours obsessing with creating. My back would spasm. Now, I work those same hours and can walk a mile home- stronger for my art.

I wear my heart upon my sleeve. Most artist I know are sensitive. One creates in that vulnerable space, “letting the spirit move them.” There are many times I go into the studio to work and create one thing-and something totally different desires to be born. If the emotional walls are calloused the art can not be born. Birthing are is energy being awakened- it is the genius of something coming from nothing.

The woman torso’s I am creating now- are NOT balanced. They seem to be growing…the more I create- the more centered the art is becoming. The more centered I am becoming in my life and love.

That seems to be how my breast plate series grew. The first breast plates were chuckling heavy thick pieces of clay. As I grew better at creating the art- the art became lighter.

Which brings me to the topic of light. Light is God to me. The sunrises and sunsets are God. Plain and simple. Even the full moons shining its magical light upon the silver waters are God. I will be incorporating light into my sculpture…I think. (laughing) One day I do this- the next day I do the opposite.

The art piece you see- the arch centered through the female torso- explains a lot of what I have just said. The torso rest upon a triangle- the Trinity.

Romans 9:20,21
But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, “Why did you make me like this?” Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

I am not sure if my art is “noble”…The muse of the clay moves me- to create…I thank God every day for the clay- the way it has helped me grow. I am blessed.


This is heaven upon earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment